The following activities were carried out by the six Regional Offices of AARDO during April-September 2016:
i) Regional Office for the Far East, Seoul, Republic of Korea
ii) Regional Office for the Middle East, Amman, Jordan
- Planned activities of the Regional Office for the year 2016;
- Identified eligible nominees in Republic of Korea for international training programmes of AARDO and facilitated their participation;
- Coordinated with AARDO and Park Chung Hee School of Policy and Saemaul (PSPS), Yeungnam University, Republic of Korea to assist officials of the member countries to participate in the Master’s degree course in PSPS;
- Liaised with the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR), Government of the Republic of the Philippines on rejoining of the Philippines in AARDO;
- Hosted 2016 Asia Pacific Agricultural Policy (APAP) Roundtable Meeting on Sustainable Management of Water Resources for Agriculture and Food Security at Beijing during 20-22 April 2016 in collaboration with Korea FAO Association; and
- Hosted 15th Asia Pacific Agricultural Policy (APAP) Forum at Seoul, R O Korea, during 8-9 September 2016 in collaboration with Korea FAO Association.
iii) Regional Office for South and Central Asia, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Facilitated the participation of participants from Jordan in various HRD activities organised by AARDO in different member countries;
Visited and made on-ground inspection of project site of Development Pilot Project on “Utilizing of Agricultural Stubbles in the Provision of Alternative Feeds for Animal”;
- Participated in meetings, workshops, conferences and functions organised by Government institutions and other international organizations;
- Drafted annual activities for the year 2016; and
- Forwarded the development project proposal to AARDO for possible financial support.
iv) Regional Office for the North and Eastern Africa, Cairo, Egypt
- Organised the Regional Training Workshop on “Promotion of Micro-Enterprises for Sustainable Livelihood in Rural Areas” in collaboration with AARDO and AHK National Centre for Rural Development (AHK NCRD) at AHK NCRD Campus, Islamabad, on 22-28 August 2016; and
- Arranged meetings of the Assistant Secretary General, AARDO with concerned government officials, dignitaries and institutions during his visit to Pakistan on 25-28 August 2016.
v) Regional Office for West Africa, Accra, Ghana
- Liaised with the Ministry of Social Solidarity, Government of Egypt on technical activities of AARDO;
Facilitated the participation of Egyptian nominees in different AARDO’s programmes;
Liaised with the Egyptian International Centre for Agriculture (EICA), Cairo, in the organisation of training programmes at the Centre;
Attended relevant international and national meetings;
Coordinated the visit of H.E. the Secretary General to Aswan during April 2016; and
- Prepared list of activities for the year 2016.
vi) Regional Office for Southern Africa, Lusaka, Zambia
Liaised with the Government of Ghana in sponsoring nominees from Ghana for different AARDO’s programmes;
- Carried out monitoring of on-going development pilot project;
Liaising with the Nodal Ministry in Ghana in finalising the visit of the Secretary General to Ghana; and
Prepared the list of activities for the year 2016.
Liaised with the concerned authorities in the Government of Zambia and the Mulungushi University on the organization of International Workshop-Cum-Training Programme on “Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation”, held at Mulungushi University, Kabwe, Zambia during 9-13 May 2016;
- Facilitated the identification of candidates and their participation in various technical activities organised under the sponsorship of AARDO;
- Monitored and supervised the AARDO-assisted project on “Construction of Basic School at Kalenga Village, Shangombo District Western Province" ; and
- Undertook field visit in Mkushi District for the implementation of the AARDO Development Pilot Project on “Empowering Vulnerable Communities with Opportunities to Undertake Income Generating Ventures Intended to Mitigate Poverty and Food Insecurity”.