VISITORS IN THE AARDO SECRETARIAT
The following dignitaries
visited the AARDO Secretariat to meet the Secretary General/Assistant Secretary General during the period under review:
- Dr. (Ms.) Vibha Dhawan, Ph.D., Distinguished Fellow and Senior Director, The Energy & Resources Institute (TERI), Gurugram, India;
- Dr. S.M. Ilyas, former Project Director (Distance Education), National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR), Hyderabad, India;
- Mr. M. A. Matin, Director General, Rural Development Academy (RDA), Bogra, Bangladesh;
- Dr. Mohd Desa Hj Hassim, Chief Executive Officer, International Tropical Fruits Network (TFNet), Selangor, Malaysia;
- Mr. Khalid Makky, Deputy Ambassador of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, New Delhi;
- Mr. Suresh Pradhan, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation (MOCPA), Government of Nepal, Kathmandu;
- Mr. Santosh Shrestha, Under Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Government of Nepal, Kathmandu;
- Mr. Ramesh Adhikari, Under Secretary, MOCPA, Government of Nepal, Kathmandu;
- Mr. Upendra Dungana, Information Officer, MOCPA, Government of Nepal, Kathmandu;
- Mr. Narayan Ganwalai, Deputy Registrar, DCO, Government of Nepal, Kathmandu;
- Mr. Ananda Saru, Chief of Divisional Cooperative Office, Government of Nepal, Kathmandu;
- Mr. N Sai Krishna, Chief Operating Officer, National Skills Foundation of India (NSFI), Gurugram, India;
- Dr. K. K. Upadhyaya, Advisor, NSFI, Gurugram;
- Mr. Kumar Abhinav, Programme Manager, NSFI, Gurugram, India;
- Ms. Surabhi Sharma, Assistant Manager (Business Development), NSFI, Gurugram, India;
- H.E. Mr. Victor J. Chin, Seasoned Ambassador from the Government of the Republic of China, Taipei;
- H.E. Dr. Joyce Juo-Yu Lin, Specialist in South East Asian Political and Economic Issues, Professor and Head of ASEAN Studies Center at Tamkang University, New Taipei City, Republic of China;
- Mr. Yu-Shan Chui, Deputy Representative, Taipei Economic and Cultural Centre in India, New Delhi;
- H.E. Ms. Judith K.K. Kan'goma-Kapijimpanga, High Commissioner for the Republic of Zambia, New Delhi;
- Mr. Brian Mwale Saka, First Secretary (Economic & Trade), Zambia High Commission, New Delhi;
- Mr. Bangwe Chisenga Naviley, First Secretary (Press & Tourism), Zambia High Commission, New Delhi; and
- H.E. Mr. Philippe Le Gall, High Commissioner for the Republic of Seychelles, New Delhi.
The Delegations Visited AARDO Secretariat
The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), India
Dr. (Ms.) Vibha Dhawan, Distinguished Fellow & Senior Director, TERI, Gurugram, paid a visit to the AARDO Secretariat on 26 May 2017 to make a presentation on her Institute, history of establishment, mission, vision, activities and programmes, partnerships with other organizations, areas of specialization, research, achievements etc. She stated that TERI and AARDO are engaged in almost similar fields, and hence there is a scope for collaboration between them. Her visit followed the visit undertaken by the Secretary General and the Assistant Secretary General to TERI on 3 April 2017.
Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal
A delegation from the esteemed Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, headed by Mr. Suresh Pradhan, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation (MOCPA), called on the Secretary General on 13 June 2017 for discussions on the possibility of Nepal joining AARDO as its distinguished member. The delegation also included senior officials from the Ministry of Finance and other agencies in the Government of Nepal.
The AARDO Secretariat made a presentation on AARDO, its objectives, areas of concern, technical activities, development pilot projects, capacity building programmes under the additional contribution provided by the Government of India, etc. The Secretary General explained the entire process of a country becoming a member of AARDO.
The head of the Nepali delegation gave a brief about his Ministry, functions and role in national rural poverty alleviation programmes. He informed the Secretary General that the process of Nepal joining AARDO had begun about six months ago, and ultimately the country would join the Organization.
National Skills Foundation of India (NSFI), Gurugram, India
A four-member delegation from NSFI, Gurugram, led by Mr. N Sai Krishna, Chief Operating Officer, called on the Secretary General on 14 June 2017 to have discussions on matters of mutual interest and to seek AARDO's possible support and collaboration as network partner in “Global Agri Connect (GAC) 2017”, scheduled to be held on 15 October 2017 in New Delhi. The delegation explained the main activities and programmes of NSFI, namely, agriculture, rural development and food processing, and invited AARDO to consider becoming a network partner for GAC 2017.
International Tropical Fruits Network (TFNet), Malaysia
Dr. Mohd Desa Hj Hassim, Chief Executive Officer, TFNet, Selangor, Malaysia, paid a courtesy call on the Secretary General on 16 August 2017 for discussions on matters of mutual interest. Two senior officials accompanied the Chief Executive Officer on the visit. During discussions, TFNet sought AARDO's support for the efforts of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries to innovate rural smallholder fruit value chains (SVCs) in three focus areas of value creation, namely, processing, marketing and export.
Youth Ambassadors from the Republic of China
A 25-members delegation of Youth Ambassadors from Republic of China (Taiwan) headed by H.E. Mr. Victor J. Chin, Seasoned Ambassador from the Government of Republic of China, visited the AARDO Secretariat on 31st August 2017. H.E. Dr. Joyce Juo-Yu Lin, Deputy Head of delegation and Specialist in South East Asian Political and Economic Issues, Professor and Head of ASEAN Studies Center at Tamkang University, New Taipei City and Mr. Yu-Shan Chui, Deputy Representative, Taipei Economic and Cultural Centre, New Delhi accompanied the delegation. Since H.E. the Secretary General was away on official tour abroad, the delegation was warmly received by Dr. Manoj Nardeosingh, Assistant Secretary General and senior officers from the Secretariat. The Assistant Secretary General, in his opening remarks, spoke about the role of AARDO in sustainable agricultural and rural development of its member countries. He expressed profound thanks and gratitude to Government of Republic of China for its generous support and cooperation to AARDO ever since it joined the Organization in 1968.
H.E. Mr. Victor J. Chin, the head of the delegation remarked that AARDO is a wonderful Organization which aims at poverty alleviation and rural development of its member countries. He mentioned that Taiwan is very fortunate to have high economic growth as well as being a member of international organization like AARDO. Some youth ambassadors gave performances showing their talent in music, dance entertainment, calligraphy, yo-yo, etc. Mr. A. W. Anwer, Head, PPP Division, AARDO thereafter made a presentation on AARDO, its objectives, vision, mission, technical activities, dissemination of information, networking, etc. In the end, the Assistant Secretary General and the Head of delegation exchanged mementos. The meeting ended with a group photograph.